- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 each: red and green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon no salt added Cajun or Creole spice blend
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth or stock
- 1 (8.8 ounce) pouch cooked brown rice, such as Uncle Ben’s brand
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined large uncooked shrimp
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté 8 minutes. Stir in chicken and spice blend and continue to sauté 5 minutes.
Stir in chicken broth and bring to a simmer over high heat. Stir in rice, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in shrimp and hot sauce and simmer just until shrimp are opaque, about 6 minutes. Ladle into shallow bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve with additional hot pepper sauce if desired.
Makes 5 servings.
- Calories from fat:70g
- Total fat:8g
- Saturated fat:2g
- Unsaturated fat:4g