- 3 slices bacon, cut crosswise into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots or chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 pound small to medium fresh live clams in their shells
- 1 (15 ounce) can no salt added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
Cook bacon in a 10-inch deep sauté pan over medium heat until crisp. Transfer the bacon and drippings onto a folded paper towel to let drain.
Add the olive oil to the same pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, rosemary and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the clams in a colander under cold running water. Scrub them with a brush and rinse well. Stir the clams into the tomato mixture, cover and simmer 7 to 8 minutes or until clams open. Uncover and stir in the beans. Simmer 2 minutes or until beans are heated through. Ladle into shallow bowls and top with the reserved bacon. Makes 4 servings.
- Calories from fat:70g
- Total fat:8g
- Saturated fat:2g
- Unsaturated fat:3g