- 1/2 cup whole grain farro
- 2 slices bacon, cut into thin strips
- 6 cups packed baby spinach leaves (6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces fresh large sea scallops
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tangerines or clementines, peeled, separated into sections, optional
Cook farro according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer the bacon and drippings to a folded paper towel to drain. Set aside skillet, but do not wash.
Place the spinach in a large bowl. When the farro is tender, drain and add it to the spinach. Toss well and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in the reserved skillet over medium heat until hot. Pat the sea scallops dry with a paper towel and season with paprika and pepper. Add the scallops in one layer to the hot skillet and cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook until scallops are opaque, about 2 minutes.
Arrange spinach and farro mixture onto four serving plates. Use tongs to place scallops over the spinach. Add the shallots to the drippings in the skillet and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and heat until hot, stirring constantly. Drizzle the dressing evenly over all. Garnish with tangerine segments if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
- Calories from fat:60g
- Total fat:7g
- Saturated fat:2g
- Unsaturated fat:2g